Friday, August 22, 2008

India and so many things

It has been many days. And this is the first one in which I have had time to check email and get on the internet. We have been so busy since the day we arrived. We literally leave the house every morning and get back at night. We have been shopping a lot for the wedding and attending wedding related events for Sam's wedding. The wedding was yesterday and was beautiful. The reception was last night and we had a lot of fun. I will post pictures when I'm sitting around the Hong Kong Airport on Sunday.

All I want to say is that I'm glad to be back in India after so long. I missed this place and there's something about it that makes me feel like I am home. The smells, food, people, chaos, all make India one of the most spiritual places on the planet for me. Bangalore has gotten so much dirtier and crowded though. I wish it didn't outgrow itself so fast. The infrastructure is so poor, for example, we sit in traffic on average for 2 hours a day. Other than that, the people and how they live admist everything really motivates me to get out of my bubble and appreciate Earth and mankind.

I don't think this is the same reaction you'll get from Chase, however. He's definitely overwhelmed at times and even though he's so easy-going and such a good traveler he's had some trouble accepting how things are in India. I don't blame him. India is a place that you have to adjust to. Life, living, everything is hard here. He's doing great though. My grandma loves him. He has even started calling her "patti" now. Which is the word for grandma in Tamil.

I wish we could have left the city. Our plans were to go to Mysore today but my grandma needs attention. Maybe some day Chase will want to come back with me and we can do some proper traveling around the country.

Gotta go. More later in Hong Kong.

1 comment:

Ash Kim said...

It's good to hear you feel at home. We all need a place that makes us feel that way, to carry within us wherever we go.

And that's so touching that your grandmother likes Chase, and that he calls her patti now. :o) That makes me infinitely happy, and reminds me how surprised and grateful I felt when Benedict's Korean-speaking grandmother was instantly kind and fond of me, despite me expectations of the opposite.

It is a whole new world, and we are part of it's renewing. Yes?

Your redbud is 4 feet over the fence now. Spike's leaves are beginning to turn color, and your roses are abloom. Texas, your other home, sends its love.

Hugs, Ash