Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Walking to Work

So, if you haven't heard, my work situation in Hangzhou has been quite..... Chinese. Can't say more than that, but I will say that I do hope we have seen the worst and there will only be improvement. I am hopeful.

However, it's when I'm walking to work that I fall into a vicious downward spiral. The walk is about 25 minutes and every morning I wake up chirpy and happy as can be. But as I start the walk to work, my mood descends with every step. I start thinking about everything, my situation, what needs to be done, etc. and by the time I get to work, I'm pouty, unmotivated, and apathetic to it all.

So two days ago I tried actively reversing that downward spiral by thinking happy thoughts and wishes for everyone I passed. I began this without thinking how many people are in Asia and that it would be... too many. I gave them each a happy vibe, a good thought, prayer, or just smiled. Within a few minutes I was feeling lighter myself, the muscles on my face totally relaxed. In fact, they underwent this transformation and my eyes became wider and more clear. It was amazing to me how much tension I hold in my face. Perhaps that's why we all get wrinkles so easily these days. By the end of the walk I was a bit exhausted because of the creative energies I had to spend to think of new things for every person I passed. So tomorrow I will try just thinking the same happy prayer to each person. A blanket prayer for all. We'll see if that helps my attitude for when I go to work each day.

No comments: