Thursday, April 22, 2010

Departures

It's so nice to be in Taiwan and access my blog without any Chinese censorship! Taiwan is so different and it's amazing to see what happens to a culture and compare the years of different government rule and what happens. It's the same people, but one culture led into Communism and the other into a more Democratic reform. Both have corruption. Both are growing immensely. But what I see more differently is the people and how they are more free, more educated, and more open-minded here.

I am partial Taiwan as I lived here ten years ago for a semester in college. It's bringing back all the memories to be here again. And I am so excited today to have a day off to go exploring. I am definitely going to check out the National Palace Museum again. In my opinion, it's the Louvre of Asian Art. The Nationalists looted China as they came here for refuge during the fight for control. They lost, but did they really? Because they have all the goodies. hehe. And most importantly, I am going to check out Tang and Song Dynasty celadon.... my most favorite. I only have half a day now as I have been in my hotel room surfing the internet. My what a few months of censorship will do to you when you are free to browse the internet again!

Another stop will be to see Taipei 101. It wasn't built when I was here but for a long time stood as the world's tallest building. I hope to get some views.

I am also meeting with a high school friend, Steve Ho, who now lives in Taipei. So that should be great to reconnect.

Saturday and Sunday.... *drumroll* I get to go to John Friend's workshop! I am signed up for both sessions so that will be two whole days of yoga yoga yoga!

Totally wickedly stoked.

Chase was also supposed to come on this trip, but he's in India. Doesn't sound too bad if you ask me. I would love to be eating idlis and dosas and sambar and sweets all day long. And yes, that's just about all I'd be doing.

Milo is with our friend, Conrad, who also just studied with John Friend in Japan last week for a Teacher Intensive. He's trying to set up Anusara style classes in Hangzhou which of course I am a big supporter of! Yay!

So big ups to everyone. Loving being on vacation. Man, I needed it! I couldn't even sleep last night because I was just so excited to be on vacation for yoga, well, and for myself.

No comments: