Sunday, April 25, 2010

Weekend in Taipei

So my weekend with John Friend went by fast. Two days was not enough time with him. I just loved listening to him and receiving all the great snippets of wisdom.

Practicing again with a group of people just gave me so much energy! I love the whole Anusara kula. It's a very different feeling you get from all other styles of yoga communities. And for me, I just get so walled in my own apartment, that I forget how much fun it can be to be around people. Well, I shouldn't say that, Conrad and I have been having a few great practices together and it's been really great to have someone in Hangzhou to practice with. I love practicing with Chase but there's a lot of tension in the way that I help him and guide him. I think Chase just needs to learn from others. Let's face it, it's difficult to receive criticism (even though I say things in the best way possible) from the one you love.

I am a control-freak, perfectionist, and technical junkie when it comes to yoga and Chase could care less about technique and wants to just "stretch". He's not into the spiritual aspect of yoga. And no one really is when they first take a yoga class. But over time, and I didn't dare tell him this for fear that he would resist it, it becomes a prayer, a meditation, a disciplined practice that takes you within. When that discipline came into my yoga practice, that was when I first began to feel freedom. Just as John Friend also said this weekend, paraphrasing of course, Stepping into and aligning with the flow of Grace is difficult, but when discipline is cultivated and you are able to be a part of nature's order and you step into that flow, you can ride its waves with ultimate freedom.

I also learned, and might have heard this before but forgot, and isn't it great to just hear and learn over and over again.... but anyways, the only three poses in yoga are: tadasana, Sukhasana/Siddhasana, and Savasana. All the other poses are just variations of these three so that meditation is easier because the prana is flowing better. I know I knew this... but it was great just reemphasize! It made my practice more meaningful in the sense that I remembered that the ultimate goal is not the asana itself but that it serves the whole body and mind to create a better union.

On Saturday I was asked to do a demo! Wow. That was great. I did Urdhva Dhanurasana to Ushtrasana and then back to Dhanurasana.

On Sunday I was asked to be a student for Patrick Creelman as he demonstrated how to "teach" handstand. Our theme was converging the themes of Yin/Ying which is so central to Daoism and the melting of the heart theme in Anusara. So the hands in handstand are yang- strong, supportive, solid... muscular energy and the melting of the heart is the yin- soft, supple, and sensitive, organic energy. So Patrick walked me and talked me though the handstand in front of the whole group. When I came down John announced that on this day Patrick became the first Certified Anusara teacher in Asia! WOW! I was so happy for him and was proud to be a part of that moment for him. How special is that.

We also talked about personal practice a bit and John made it clear that his purpose here was to light a spark within us that would carry us until the next time we met again. I am without a doubt, more invigorated, determined, and realigned in my focus. John definitely created a shift in me and my experience with him was unforgettable. I think that this was due to the fact that I was open when I came to this course. I was accepting of everything I received and I hope that I can take all that I learned back to Hangzhou, mull over it, practice, practice, practice, and go further in my studies. Oh and that includes studying with Lois in a few short weeks in Shanghai and this summer in India at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Chennai!

1 comment:

Ash Kim said...

what an incredible experience you had. thanx for sharing it so vividly, and sharing your wisdom so generously, Svetha... -ASK