Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On a side note

I got to Beijing on August 1st. I found our apartment and our lease began on August 25th. It is now September 17th. We have yet to find knives available in any store for our kitchen. Apparently the Beijing government has decided to ban the sale of knives until the Olympics are over. (Just in case, someone else decides to stab someone.) And that will be September 20th. No knives. We have been cutting veggies with our butter knives.

I just think that it's funny that there was no announcement of all this. I could have ended my knife search if the news would have just told me. No, the knives just disappeared and that's the theory I have come up with.

2 comments:

Ash Kim said...

lol!! Are you serious? They are banning STONE AGE weapons in the 21st century? I hope that's the least of their concerns. Please tell me that banned the sale of AK47's and explosives as well...

Svetha said...

Well, my theory has been confirmed. I went to Nick's Mart which is a well known expat grocery store in the expat area of town called Lido. Well, that's where I got my hair cut and it looks FABulous by the way... and what do you know? Knives. Available. Funny that the closing ceremonies for the Paralympics was last night....