Friday, October 31, 2008

Diwali

Diwali was on Tuesday and I took the day off work. I have never done that before but being that this was the first time I was away from my family, I felt like being close to the only family I have here, Chase.

So we woke up and got into our new clothes- traditional Diwali custom. I relaxed and surfed the internet celebrity sites, particularly Perez Hilton. It's my one weakness on the weekends!

We still had so many groceries from our delivery service that I cooked a four course lunch. And then we headed out for a day at the climbing wall at Ritan Park and then massages after. We got foot massages and Shiatsu massages. Total indulgence for two hours. I feel so spoiled here in China because we are able to afford luxuries so easily.

Then we went on a quest to find the only Indian grocery store in Beijing. It is run by an old Chinese couple and has all the basics for an Indian kitchen- spices, vegetables, and pickles! Too bad I don't know how to cook Indian food. So we went to the Taj Pavillion where we had a great dinner and after met an Indian family. It was nice to have that connection with them.

Tonight, the Indian Embassy of Beijing is hosting a cultural evening with performances by children, and a dinner followed by fireworks. Unfortunately, we already bought tickets to see Kanye West in concert.

Yes, I know, I'm going to see Kanye West. Not because I particularly like him or his music. Well, I do like his music. But if he was in Austin, I would never go see him, but somehow now that I'm in Beijing, it is just the buzz of the event that has us going. Chase and I are pretty excited to see the spectacle of the event and see how Chinese people react to American music.

Well, before that I'm going to a yoga class, shopping for clothes, getting a pedi and mani, and getting some cardio in. Wow, life is tough around here....

No comments: