Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wei? Ni Hao.

Hello? Wei?

I can’t believe it’s been a week since I posted. Our lives here are at lightning speed. I just wanted to talk about an interesting phenomenon that I’ve noticed with the children in my class.

When I lived and studied abroad in Taiwan several years ago. I would often notice how prevalent cell phone usage was. Cell phones and electronics are much cheaper in Asia and they more “blingy.” A total fashion accessory. This way of thinking is just now catching on in America. In Taiwan it’s extremely popular to have neon LEDs all over your phone if you are a guy and cute Hello Kitty charms attached to the antennae if you are female. People would answer their cell phones where ever they were: in the bathroom, on the treadmill, in the movie theatre, and in the middle of a lecture in class. They would just cover their mouths over the phone with one hand as if that stopped you from noticing that they were on the phone. Missing a phone call probably made them nervous. And I am sure you have read articles about how many people are addicted to their Blackberries, cell phones, and other hand-held emailing devices.

Several years later, the reliance on our electric devices has now changed the way children in my class play. Just yesterday, I had to keep a child inside from playtime because of his actions the day before and because they continued yesterday as well. While he sat in the room, he began to entertain himself by playing “cell phone” and talking with the person on the line. This continued for several minutes and he was mimicking the way he has seen his parents act on the phone. Another child was putting his shoes on the other day and all of a sudden like as if he was struck by something, he held is hand to his right ear, cocked his head to one side and began speaking into his imaginary phone. Another instance is when a new child came to visit my classroom a few weeks ago. She proudly showed off her toy cellphone that looked shiny, bright, and had buttons to press and play with. I had nothing to say to her about it but inside was bewildered that her parents thought that this was an ok toy to buy. Some people might think these three instances are cute and that the children are just being “imaginative.” However, I feel that they are a clear indication how obsessed we have become. Our children are watching us everyday. They might be playing in the same room and not looking like they are watching as you clean or pay bills. But they sense your emotions, the watch how you interact, and they absorb everything that. So if you are a parent and you need to talk on the phone, do it after you pick up your child from school, not while you are driving, and as little as possible in their presence. Put away your cell phone at dinner time or other quality time that you spend with your child. Then we can help children interact with the real world around them and allow them to have real experiences.

Alright, I’m off my soapbox.

Chase and I got a suitcase of things from Austin. We have our jackets now! And gloves, mittens, and other essentials we have been missing. It’s great. Thank you Mom and Dad!

2 comments:

Jeremiah Wallace said...

Yeah, my sister recently told me of how proud she was that her neice started being SO cute and copying her by putting her ear to her shoulder and making all kinds of random noises. All I could think was that if Ally was walking around blabbing with her shoulder to her ear that people would think something was wrong with her. I feel your pain.

Svetha said...

They look like adults stuck in little bodies because they copy our mannerisms while talking. I'm sure I did the same thing when I was a child (pretended to talk on the phone). But I believe today's child is doing this because of cell phone usage proliferating our lives.