Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I mean, Wow...

I am sitting here working on my End of Term Reports and all I hear out the window are mini explosions. That is to say, the fireworks to commemorate the Year of the Ox have begun. Many of the convenience stores and local vendors have turned into full-scale fireworks stalls. And many of the Chinese have returned to their homes to be with family, visit family and friends, make merry, exchange gifts, and party. It's really an exciting time to be here. Fernando, our resident friend from Austin who's been here for last year's Spring Festival says that the fireworks are going off so consistently that it's almost soothing when you are trying to go to bed. He compared it to the ceiling fan making a rotating noise.

The official New Year's Eve is the 25th when I'm on my flight back to Austin and the first day of the new year is the 26th, so I will just miss the major celebrations. I really think I am missing something special but know that coming to Austin to be with family, see my Honeygirl, and plan my wedding is more than words-special.

Also, today I had a bangin' yoga practice. I've been feeling off because I've been hunched over on the ground doing this inventory project this last week for my school and a back-bending practice set me straight. Literally. Gotta love it.

1 comment:

jackie said...

Gung hay fat choy! (Did I get that right?)

It's a pretty exciting time over here too. We're all glued to the TV (computer in my case) watching the presidential inauguration.

Obamanos!