Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's the end of the term at my school and this means lots of work for teachers. As most Montessori school are for ages 18 months to 6 years (there are some Elementary and Middle-High School programs, but very few), we don't necessarily evaluate and judge children like they do in traditional schools because we feel children grow in stages called Sensitive Periods rather than all at the same time. Each child is developing according to his inner workings and we don't push or curb their growth. So we see growth in phases and so it's hard to put a timetable to their achievements. Nevertheless, there is pressure from parents to produce a written assessment of sorts. We do so to the best of our abilities assessing children on their progress- social, emotional, physical (motor skills), and age appropriate development. For my school, they have not in their seven years of enrollment produced a written report. So the pressure is on this year. And I was asked to create our End of Term Report. That's been a big project for me this past month and one that has had many obstacles because the administration at my school is not Montessori trained. I am doing my best to educate them and so far many of the suggestions that I have given and they have not used, they have come back and said "oh, we understand and agree now." So it's definitely showing me that my years of experience are now turning into wisdom. Way cool. Ego-boost for sure. But no really, it is said that you only really grasp something when you yourself have to teach it. I do love being a teacher. Not for authoritative reasons. Because I love the "light going off" in people's heads and I love to be that facilitator. You give a gift every time you see that growth happen.

And it's also this time of the year that I have a chance to reflect on the children and their growth and our relationship. This year has been tough. Culturally, I have experienced a huge growth curve in how to be with Chinese children. They are very different. However, the classroom is now settled and I have bonded with them. I look and see how far their English has come and I now have children forming complete sentences in English that absolutely didn't understand one word at the beginning of the year. Also when I am filling out these forms, it is confirmed how much I know about each child and how my time with them is more than just learning shapes, numbers, botany, zoology, etc. It's a wholesome experience for me as well as them. This reflection is a feel good time as well as a time to assess what emphasis is needed with them for the rest of the year. I learn so much about what I need to improve on and so this is a growing time for my skill as well. I usually come back the next term ready to go with fresh ideas and new strategies for my class.

So here are some pictures of my class. I realized that all this while I hadn't posted any. It's a beautiful space. I wish I was a child in this huge brightly lit room with child-sized furniture and shelves and shelves of activities to explore.



Notice the huge windows and door leading out to the "Unity Garden."



All the furniture is white. Makes things kind of impersonal, but also clean.



Isn't the white piano great?



This is the child-sized kitchen where the children prepare snack for the whole class each morning. It's usually fruit.

3 comments:

Jeremiah Wallace said...

OMG! I wanna room like that!

Lisa said...

Very cool Svetha! I love reading your posts!

BlueMoonPoet said...

Your courage, conviction and devotion are such powerful indicators of what you'll do with that classroom and it's children. God bless them. And you! What a journey you are on!