Sunday, February 22, 2009

This weekend

I've been sick for the entire weekend. I have no voice, drainage is running down the back of my throat, and I have no energy. But I'm not "laying in bed sick" so I want to get up and go about my day. It's hard for me to make myself relax and let my body heal itself. I've been using the netipot, salt water gargling, and drinking hot liquids to soothe my throat. I am going to practice yoga in a bit because I have to get up and do something. But I will take it slow.

Today Chase and I went to brunch with some friends at the Vineyard Cafe which is located in a renovated hutong. They have great brunch options (even for vegetarians) all for under $10. Then we walked around the block to the Yong He Gong Lama Temple. Yong means "happiness". He means "and." And Gong means "peace." So the peace and happiness temple. It was beautiful and the smell of incense was great. I prayed for a bit which was nice. I wish there was a Hindu temple in China, but at least a Buddhist temple will work. This temple has a great 8 meter tall statue of Buddha standing that is made from one single piece of white sandalwood. Amazing that trees used to be that big a few hundred years ago. Nowadays, our trees are no longer the giants they used to be.

Then we went to the foreign language bookstore in WanfuJing and Chase got a new book and I bought a calendar for my classroom. We talked about how its hard to find time to read books anymore and so have made a date on Friday night to go to a bookstore or coffee shop just to get some reading in. Our schedules are busier than ever so it's necessary to make time for what makes us happy.

I've been resting on the couch and tonight we are out to dinner with a friend of Chase's from his new language school.

I hope I can make it to work tomorrow morning and don't have to call in sick.

2 comments:

jackie said...

I hope you're feeling better now!!

Burt said...

Svetha,

I am incredibly jealous of your magnificent adventure. This is Matt (Onza's owner) from once upon a time in Phoenix. If you get a chance drop me an e-mail, m.burt@hotmail.com. Congrats on your engagement, and job, and travels. I hope you feel better soon.