Saturday, August 28, 2010

Montessori in China- Part 2

Oh, I forgot to mention....

So I live on a pretty busy one-way street in Hangzhou. Every Friday, my friend, Conrad, cooks dinner and hosts a yoga session before hand. I was the only one in attendance this week and I was taking Milo as usual. He's is the honored guest you know... Funny joke... So he's a poodle, but the translation for poodle in Chinese, gui bin, means "honored guest". How fitting for poodles. But he's such a relaxed guy. Not so prim and proper like a poodle.

So, across the street from my apartment complex is a strip of little shops- eateries, clothing, accessories, bakeries, etc. This Friday I noticed a group of young women opening up a new shop and it was in fact a Montessori Materials shop! I was timid upon entering for fear that they would recognize who I was (I am in magazines in Hangzhou advertising our school). But they didn't catch that and I spoke to them about their setup, intentions, and anything that they had to say. It was interesting and they mentioned that they had a school not too far from the shop.

It struck me so much about how Montessori is such a "catch phrase" in China at the moment and businessmen are doing just about anything they can to jump on the bandwagon. I can't believe how much in the two years I've been in China that Montessori has grown.

Chinese parents have one opportunity to raise a child and they are willing to do anything to get them a head start, a better chance of success, and an edge on other children. It's cut-throat even at the tender age of 3.

The materials themselves seemed on par to Nienhuis, or other AMI-approved suppliers. There were lots of "parts of ..." puzzles, basic math materials, and items like Dressing Frames, highlighted in the store. I didn't get a catalog but asked them to contact me in the future for any Open Houses for their school around the corner.

I can't be sure who's the manufacturer of these goods, but it's evident that Montessori in China is just "growing like a weed" in China.

I hope I can be a part of the good gardeners who groom and take care of this transformation in Chinese society for the future.

1 comment:

Ash Kim said...

That's amazing! It must have been so encouraging to see proof of the power of the ideas you are working so hard to teach every day. High five, Sveth.