Saturday, August 21, 2010

So Busy

I guess you can tell how busy I have been the last few months. I haven't had a second to really look at my blog or catch up on all the great things happening in my life. I am truly grateful to have a full, social, meaningful life where I am surrounded by those I care about and who love me.

July was great because I was in India with Chase and we were able to spend time with Archie (who's going to UT this fall), Sruthi (who's going to USC this fall) and my parents and grandmother. On June 10th, we celebrated my Dad's 60th birthday in traditional style. It's called a Shastiabdhapoorthi and it's basically where the husband and wife renew their vows. It was an intense few days as the schedule was jam-packed. In the mornings and afternoons for two hours each, 19 priests came to my Aunt and Uncle's home in SriRangam and recited the Vedas. Some where chanting from the Yajur Veda, others from the Sama Veda, Ramayanam, and finally others where chanting in Tamil slokhas and devotional hymns from the 12 Alwars. The energy that it created really purified the house and everyone in it. I definitely fell in love with the Sama Veda as it sounds very trance-like. There's a melody component and it is easy to see how Tibetan chanting and Karnatik music came from this particular Veda. Then on the 10th we had the big celebration. It was good to see so many of my parents' friends and relatives from throughout their lives come to support my parents. Community is such a big part of Indian culture.

The rest of the India trip was amazingly relaxing. I had so much fun eating. Everyday was a feast and I made sure to eat lots of okra, mango (not enough though), coconut, banana stem, and other wonderful veggies that are only found in India. Chase on the other hand was dying from the monotony of Indian cuisine. At least to his taste buds it was monotonous. For me, there were so many flavors that I missed.

As soon as we came back to Hangzhou I went through a series of interviews for the Training of Trainers program which is the next step for me in the process of becoming an AMI trainer. I have to wait a few more weeks to see if I made it in. It's really a 50/50 chance I think. And then I have to figure out how I'm going to get all of the program finished in my five-year plan... if I get in that is. So some major life decisions await in the future if I get in.

Chase celebrated his 30th birthday the next day. I had a surprise party planned for him given that we would go to the Banyan tree for a spa day. But that was unraveled when he said he didn't want to go. So we had friends over anyways, and then went to a bbq in Binjiang by the Sheraton. It was good food. I hope they host another one. I got him kettle bells as a present but apparently they are the wrong size. Oops. I really tried!

Chase went on a business trip for a day to Zhengzhou and it was explained to him that I actually was invited as well and me not showing up would be a major faux pas. So we rushed to get someone to take care of Milo and I hopped on a plane that Friday evening. We explored the Shaolin Temple and some famous grottoes in Longmen. The Buddhist carvings were spectacular and marvelous. Our hosts, were great and Chase and I had fun playing with their 4 year old daughter.

Last weekend, our friends organized a trip to Anji. Anji is famous from the movie, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, because there's a fight scene in the bamboo forest and Anji is where that portion was filmed. We didn't actually go to the bamboo park but there was bamboo everywhere. Our main purpose was to go swimming in the creek. It was Milo's first trip out of the city and he had a great time. We also took him swimming for the first time. I mean, maybe his old family let him swim in their pool, but we felt like it was his first time. He tried and then decided that the water is just not his thing. But ya know, Honeymuffer was like that until she got used to it. So maybe Milo will become accustomed to the water the more we take him. Here are some pics from the weekend. By the way, the watering hole was really great. Can't wait to go back.

Here's the great mountain scenery filled with bamboo everywhere:


Milo taking his first swim:


The swimming hole. The water was the perfect temperature:

1 comment:

Ash Kim said...

I loved reading about your trip to India. My father turned 60 this summer as well, so it's so interesting hearing the differences between the Indian celebration and our own. Each step of the process sounds so meaningful to so many. Thanks for sharing that. And I'm so glad you got to eat all the foods you've missed so much! Too bad about Chase's 30th. Boys can be such a pain sometimes! lol. And how cool that you got to go with him as second on that trip and see some sights. And how cute that Milo had his first aquaplunge! :-)