Saturday, August 28, 2010

Montessori in China

So, some of you may know that I was teetering on the edge of quitting my job here in Hangzhou this Spring. The politics and the business side of things in Montessori in China are just really so much to deal with. I am idealistic, kind-hearted, and work with integrity, sincere, dedicated, and did I mention, Idealistic? Well, what you get in China is not the ideal situation. So I was consumed for the latter part of the school year about what to do. Well, I stayed: for me, for the children, for the families, and for the bond that I had already created with the community here in Hangzhou.

So we started school three days ago and I must say it's nice to have "returning children". It's been two years since I had that and I love the fact that I can see the relationship we have created. They know me, there's a foundation, and there's a mutual understanding. Beyond that, I can't believe how much English they have retained! Most of them are under 4 years (as is the case when you start a Montessori classroom from scratch) and they communicate with me in Chinese and I respond in English. I am so impressed. Since being in China, I have questioned the bilingual set-up. Talk to me more in detail and you will understand why I believe that bilingual settings in school are better reserved for the Elementary years. I just think that children from 3 to 6 have so much to cope with.... so why further complicate things? Nevertheless, I have been hired to teach English and I will do my best.

My parents in my classroom are so supportive, enthusiastic, and in-touch with their child's needs! What great Montessori parents! It also helps that for most of them they only get to have ONE. So they can make that dedicated focus.

The administration moved me to a new space which has more natural light, windows, and is a more "home-like" feel. I am grateful for that. It's a contrived space, but I am working with it. I've got a hard-working assistant and even more hard-working "ayi" or housemaid. Neither are formally trained but are so ready to learn. Even better! I love that feeling of mentoring someone from the "ground up" and am happy that they are eager. Which brings me to my desire to join the Training of Trainers program. I am looking forward to them approving me to start the program and I will do so whole-heartedly. I love helping and changing minds to think about children in a new way. My training in Montessori was such an eye-opener so I wish to convey that same feeling to anyone I can.

More later. But I am excited to start this new school year. And I hope that I can serve the children in my classroom in the best way that I can.

1 comment:

Ash Kim said...

Awww. So glad to hear that the new school year and new classroom space had some positive notes this time around. I'm sure you mean so much to those families and those children, and especially to your assistant. Your passion for your work and for the children is beautiful, inspiring, and transformative, Svetha! I'm very impressed by your courage and dedication through the trials of the past year. xo