Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Being Real Americans

So the Patriots played the Colts a day or two ago. Wait, don't tell me who won because we still haven't seen the game, but this is the story of how we hoped and wanted to see the game like every good American did.

I found out about a forum where by users can post NFL games for other to download. Chase and I have tried just about every other means to watch NFL and college football online, but we have not been successful. Well, last year in Beijing, we did have pirated Satellite TV and ESPN did put some.... just some games so we had a fair amount that satiated our football needs. This year, we don't even have Chinese TV so everything we watch is a DVD from the pirated DVD place across our street or online. We have several great sites we like to use including youku.com, tudou.com, and others.

So Chase and I had the great idea to go for a workout and order in pizza and watch the game off my laptop using this new forum. A perfect date-night idea. We went to the gym first and on their pirated ESPN satellite channel (yes, even five-star gyms have to pirate their TV in China) was the broadcast of the Real Madrid v. Milan match-up and so Chase got hooked watching that. So we ended up sticking around the bar that's on the same floor as the gym and I had my pizza while Chase had a burger. So it wasn't so American after all. We tried the site when we got home but we're still stuck on this side of the world without our American football fix until we get home for the holidays.

So we'll be back in Texas for Christmas with his family and the rest of the time through New Year's in Austin. So I am looking forward to that.

Today we are going to the climbing gym this evening and Chase says I'm going to be using my harness. Haha. I don't enjoy sport climbing nearly as much as the safety of bouldering. Bouldering just makes me feel like a monkey and that's basically why I like to climb anyways.

Other than that, we 'll check out a new restaurant for dinner and come back home for early rest. I've got a scratchy throat.

Oh, and we are going to Beijing in a few weeks; the weekend after Thanksgiving to be exact. Really excited to see old friends and be back in the Jing.

No comments: