Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Expat Status Granted

I am officially an "expat." My work visa came today. I am a registered "alien" with the Chinese government. They now have jurisdiction over my rights. Well, actually, I'm not sure how I am protected by the US government anymore. I'm still a citizen so I suppose it shouldn't change much. 

Speaking of which Chase and I went out to the local outdoor store (www.sanfo.com/en) which is beautiful. They have everything we can need from brands like Patagonia, Nalgene, MadRock, etc. But many items are 2x as expensive. So we will wait to go back to America to get needed items like socks, water bottles, climbing ropes, down jackets, etc. And then we went to another area of town for a bite to eat at a place called Bite A Pita. So as we pulled up to "super bar street" we were both oohhing and aaaahing over a well lit 10 story building and compound. Turns out it we found the new American Embassy. And wow, is it nice. It's heavily guarded, not by actual people that we could see although I am sure they are there during daylight hours in more plain sight, but by huge walls, cameras everywhere, and lighting that leaves no room for shadows.  The American government has certainly staked out it's presence in China. 

Our food was good at the restaurant and we are just having so much fun eating in China. There are so many kinds of Chinese cuisine let alone international restaurants. We were in fact talking at dinner tonight about how we, er, mostly me, are feeling spoiled by the seemingly extravagant lifestyle we lead. I take that back. It's mostly because rent and bills are much more reasonable in China and so our income gets spent more on nice meals. And the food is great in China. 

This evening, Chase got a haircut while I got a french manicure. We ate dinner, came home, and now I've got to go prepare for more parent-teacher conferences while Chase is practicing his hanzi (chinese characters). I feel each year that talking with parents for conferences gets easier and easier as I know children as a collective whole a little better and better.

This week at the school we are preparing for Thanksgiving. And although it is not celebrated in China, the culture theme of the month at The Family Learning House is America. So we have been able to incorporate a Thanksgiving meal for all the families of the school and we are busy decorating the classroom and making placemats for the children. The dinner is on Friday and I am looking forward to meeting with the families over a meal. 

Also today, I had the "blues" over Lola. I know I shouldn't have done this but I searched some Italian Greyhound and Whippet websites. Whippets are what we feel Lola is mixed with. Her temperament, gait, build, and eating and sleeping habits are identical to the breed standard. And well, she does look like them. And I believe the other part of her has at least some Chow Chow. That you can see in her bark when you come to door. Anyways, I miss that dog so much tonight. I had a good cry about it while looking at pictures of happy Whippets and their families. I need a dog in my daily life and I can't wait for the day I can see Lola again. 

1 comment:

Christina Sell said...

Hey there. Your dad came to yoga today!

We miss you here but I am glad you are having a fun time!