Monday, November 17, 2008

Starbucks in China

When I lived in the United States, I rarely visited Starbucks. Mostly because of the ridiculous amount they would charge me for hot water and a few bits of tea dust in a pouch. I'm not a coffee drinker, so at least I didn't have the cravings for a nonfat mocha frappucino or something like that... But whenever I would go, it would be for a little indulgence and for those yummy almond toffee bars and yes, ok a grande chai tea (bag, not syrup).

Since being in Beijing Starbucks has become a portal of what life is like back home. I step into a Starbucks and I am seriously transported. I could be anywhere in one of Austin's Starbucks. The baristas all speak good English, my drink (still tea, but no chai to be found anywhere in Asia- note that it is the origin of spice, spice trade, and the like, but no chai, grrr) is made just the way I like it with a little froth of non-melamine containing milk, and the muffins are sweet and satisfying. I limit myself to once a week, because the amount I spend at Starbucks each visit is equivalent to 1/4 of the average Chinese person's monthly salary. I will double check this fact, but I feel the guilt sometimes walking down the street and seeing construction workers and street vendors looking puzzled as to how one can spend so much on a drink and a pastry.

Today after working out, I went in and the Starbucks close to my work was all decked for Christmas- wreaths in the door, pre-packaged gifts for friends, Christmas mugs, frost on the windows, and Christmas music playing. I almost called Chase to let him know! Anyways, it's not easy to get into the spirit of the holidays when nowhere else around you is decorated in that fashion. Not to say that I am into the commercial nature of the Christmas season, but the ambience is what I miss.

It just might be that Christmas music just lifts your spirit and everyone's just a tad nicer during that time of year. I'm not sure. But I know I will be going in to Starbucks next week to capture a bit of that cheer again.

1 comment:

jackie said...

Will you and Chase be celebrating the American cultural holiday known as Thanksgiving next week?

The general holiday frenzy has started to gear up over here. But I can't complain, I really love it. All the decorations and parties... We're hosting my family for Christmas this year, so we'll be going all out. When are you guys coming back stateside?